OrganisationSouth African Medical Research Council
LocationJohannesburg , South Africa
The South African Medical Research Council’s (SAMRC) Environment and Health Research Unit (E&HRU) seeks to appoint a dynamic, self-driven and ambitious researcher in a position of either Specialist Scientist or Senior Specialist Scientist, depending on qualifications and experience.
- Strengthen and expand the existing E&HRU programme of work on exposure to persistent toxic substances and health in key settings and communities in South Africa/Africa
- Manage the conduct of research with due regard to the research integrity, reputational risk and other relevant policies of the SAMRC
- Draft research protocols and generate funding for their implementation from national and international sources
- Publish in international and national peer reviewed scientific journals
- Build the capacity of staff and students to conduct research in the field of environmental health/environmental epidemiology, especially at PhD level
- Develop national and International research collaborations
- Manage grant funds
- Assist the unit director with the management of the E&HRU.
- PhD degree in Environmental Epidemiology, Public Health or other relevant field and/or Public Health Medicine Specialist [FCPHM or MMed (community health)];
- At least 5 years of relevant research experience at a senior level;
- A track record of first authored publications in accredited journals;
- Experience in building the environmental health research capacity of students and staff, especially supervision at Masters and Doctoral level;
- A successful grant application record;
- Evidence of national or international standing.
- Ability to function well in diverse (including international) teams and across sectors;
- Professional communication and interpersonal skills;
- NRF rating, alternatively qualification for NRF rating.
Commencement of duty: There is an urgent need to appoint a qualified candidate to commence duty as soon as possible.
Remuneration: A competitive annual cost to company package in the region of R691 000 – R872 000 (Specialist Scientist) and R909 000 (Senior Specialist Scientist) will be negotiated in consideration of experience and qualifications.
This position is targeted for the E&HRU offices in Johannesburg (hosted by the University of Johannesburg at the Doornfontein campus), but in exceptional circumstances location in Cape Town, Durban or Pretoria may be considered.
In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified. Disabled persons are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER (R100A) IN ALL COMMUNICATION.
The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment.
Should no feedback be received within 30 days of the closing date,
kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.