OrganisationThe Mitchell Group, Inc.
The Mitchell Group, Inc., an international development consulting firm based in Washington, DC, is currently is seeking expressions of interest from qualified Senior Public Health Technical Advisor (HIV/AIDS and TB) candidates to propose for an upcoming activity providing monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning support to USAID/South Africa programs.
(South Africa Nationals or Residents Preferred)
The HIV/AIDS & TB Adviser, will provide technical leadership, and guidance to advance the ongoing monitoring, evaluation, research of HIV & AIDS and TB issues facing the health team of USAID/South Africa. This position will contribute to functions within the larger team related to monitoring, evaluation, research, learning and strengthening program quality.
The position will support and advance program quality, provide expert advice/support, and transfer skills through technical assistance and the development of local capacity. The Advisor will contribute to agency reporting and monitoring requirements to measure results, documentation, and program research. The position will also assess and support with the planning, completion, and documentation of family planning and HIV/AIDS compliance in order to meet U.S statutory requirements. The position will work closely with others to advance collaboration, joint programming. The HIV Advisor will serve as the focal point and for HIV/AIDS & TB related activities.
The Adviser will also support the research-related components of the project including literature reviews, secondary analysis, and special studies as needed.
- Support design, and monitoring and evaluation planning of operational research to answer key program questions;
- Along with HIV/AIDS team, support the development of evidence-based program standards and guidance that reflect best practices and state-of-the-art approaches and promote widespread application. Set technical standards/priorities for evaluation and for research;
- Maintain knowledge of state-of-the-art information, and with field-based colleagues identify internal/external good/promising practices.
- Lead and support in the planning and implementation of area program learning meetings and facilitate other cross-program learning;
- Developing and maintaining a family planning and HIV/AIDS compliance checklist to be completed during site visits
- Developing a family planning and HIV/AIDS compliance module for SIMS visits
- As requested, conducting trainings for South African government and USAID-supported implementing partners about family planning and HIV/AIDS
- Partnering with USAID/South Africa and/or the South African government to identify the problem statement requiring literature reviews
- Conducting literature reviews of the formal and gray
- Familiarity robust methods like meta-analysis to strengthen the rigor of
- Conducting data triangulation and other rigorous secondary analysis methods, where possible, in partnership with USAID/South Africa and/or South African government staff.
- Using robust statistical methods and big data analytics to better understand the story behind the data.
- Partnering with USAID/South Africa and/or the South African government to publish and/or present findings.
- Medical Degree/Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, behavioral sciences, population studies/demography, social sciences or related field or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 10-15+ years professional experience in the design, analysis, dissemination, and management of research pertaining to HIV/AIDS and TB interventions in developing countries;
- Proven expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, operations research, health management information systems, reporting, data quality assessments, data analysis and presentation
- Familiarity with USG/PEPFAR compliance, performance measurements and criteria
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public and NGO sectors
- M&E experience in increasing the capacity, coordination, absorption and retention of nurses, midwives, pharmacists, community health workers, social service workers in the areas HIV, TB, and other chronic diseases
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national projects and technical staff
Please send relevant CV/resume to [email protected]. In the subject line, please indicate “HIVAIDS – TB/ South Africa/ (Last Name)”. CV/resumes will be reviewed as they are received, early application is encouraged. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.