OrganisationSchool of Public Health & Family Medicine, UCT
LocationCape Town , South Africa
The Division of Epidemiology & Biostatistics in the School of Public Health and Family Medicine (SPH&FM) is seeking a biostatistician for a 3-year contract position with potential for renewal. The main purpose of this position is to participate in teaching, supervision and research activities within the Division of Epidemiology & Biostatistics and the School of Public Health & Family Medicine at the University of Cape Town. The level of the appointment will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, from Senior Lecturer to Associate Professor.
- Doctorate degree in Biostatistics, Statistics or Bioinformatics, or a closely-related discipline
- Relevant experience in biostatistics, population statistics and/or veterinary statistics
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas of statistics: repeated measures analyses; multivariate methods; survival methods and longitudinal analyses; spatial analyses; analyses of complex survey designs and/or clinical trials
- Extensive experience in teaching and mentoring/supervision of students
- High levels of competence and experience in communicating statistical concepts and the results of statistical analyses required; experience in scientific writing and publications is required
- Familiarity with major packages required, including R and/or Stata
- Experience and/or training in teaching statistics to non-statistical audiences
- Teaching entry-, intermediate- and/or advanced-level biostatistics within the School and Faculty to undergraduate and postgraduate audiences
- Supervision of student research degrees, particularly at masters and doctoral levels
- Collaborate on and carry out statistical analyses from projects across public health, clinical and/or laboratory specialties drawing on a broad range of analytic methods
- Provide inputs into study design and methods, and assist in the conceptualization of alternative analytic strategies for research projects when required
- Develop over time an independent portfolio of research relevant to commonly used biostatistical methods
- Mentor and supervise research staff within SPH&FM with regards to statistical concepts and methods
The annual cost of employment for 2017, including benefits (where applicable), is between R728 441(Senior lecturer) and R859 554 (associate professor) depending on the level of the appointment. The position may be eligible for an additional scarce skills allowance.
To apply, please e-mail the below to Ms. Jacqueline Harvey at [email protected].
- UCT Application Form (download at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, including a statement of teaching and research interests, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 2220
Reference number: E17104
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
For this post we seek particularly to attract black South African candidates (i.e. African, Coloured and Indian).
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.