LocationCape Town , South Africa
The Division of Epidemiology & Biostatistics in the School of Public Health and Family Medicine (SPH&FM) is seeking a biostatistician for a permanent teaching position. The main purpose of this position is to participate in teaching, supervision and research activities within the Division of Epidemiology & Biostatistics and the School of Public Health & Family Medicine at the University of Cape Town. The level of the appointment will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, from Lecturer to Senior Lecturer.
- an MSc or equivalent in statistics with a focus on biostatistics or the equivalent, or an MPH or PhD in epidemiology with substantial biostatistical training and experience
- excellent communication skills and the ability to explain basic statistical concepts
- experience in teaching statistical content
- a good understanding of statistical methods most commonly used in biomedical research
- extensive knowledge of a major statistical software programme (R and/or Stata would be preferable)
- experience in providing data analysis/statistical support in the health sciences
- experience teaching statistics to non-statistical audiences, particularly in the health sciences
- familiarity with the study designs routinely used in health sciences research and the ability to assist in the interpretation of data
- undergraduate and postgraduate statistical teaching in the School and across the Faculty
- supervision/co-supervision of Honours, Masters and/or Doctoral students working on quantitative theses
- provision of statistical support to researchers, including postgraduate students
- active engagement in research
- academic administration
Further study in biostatistics is encouraged as part of the position, including Doctoral studies, as appropriate.
The annual cost of employment, including benefits (where applicable):
Lecturer R639 848
Senior Lecturer R786 717
The successful candidate may be eligible for an additional scarce skills allowance.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Vathiswa Mbangi at [email protected]:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) clearly indicating which level you are applying
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
For more information about the position, please contact Prof Maia Lesosky, [email protected]
Telephone: 021 650 3003 Website: www.publichealth.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E18105 Closing date: 03 April 2018
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. For this post we seek particularly to attract black South African candidates (i.e. African, Coloured and Indian). UCT reserves the right not to appoint.