The South African Medical Research Council’s Environment and Health Research Unit (EHRU) conducts research on a range of environmental factors affecting the health of the South African population. Studies related to climate and health, air pollution health impacts, the health of mining communities and urban poverty are conducted across the country. The research focus area is the broad field of environment, climate and health.
We are seeking a dynamic and self-driven individual with expertise and experience in the conduct of epidemiological studies related to the environment, climate and public health. The candidate will be part of a team working on existing and new projects, in some of which s/he will assume a leadership role. Key responsibilities include management of research projects, quality control and assurance, staff support and supervision, generation of income, publication of research findings and participation in research translation activities.
- Project work: Planning and co-ordination of research projects, including research integrity aspects, staff support and supervision, fieldwork, data processing and data analysis.
- Research output: Publish research findings in peer-reviewed, indexed scientific journals and other publications. Present research at conferences and meetings.
- Proposal writing: Collaborate as co-investigator in proposal writing.
- Income generation and financial management: income generation through grants and contracts.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in public health, community health, biostatistics/statistics or other relevant field would be advantageous.
- At least 3 years research experience in the field of public health, community health or other relevant field. Additional experience would be an advantage.
- Experience in research management, including financial and other controls of multi-stakeholder projects.
- A high level of computer literacy. Proficiency in statistical software packages, such as STATA would be an advantage.
- A track record of publications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and computer literacy.
- Excellent financial, data, people and time management skills.
- The ability to function well as part of a multidisciplinary and diverse team, and work across sectors.
- Valid code 8 driver’s license.
- Willingness to travel.
A salary in the region of R631 000.00 per annum, cost-to-company, will be negotiated in consideration of experience and qualifications.
This position is targeted for the E&HRU offices in Johannesburg (hosted by the University of Johannesburg at the Doornfontein campus) or Durban.
In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified. Disabled persons are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER (R179A) IN ALL COMMUNICATION.
The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment.
Should no feedback be received within 30 days of the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
Please go to the following website to complete an online application.