OrganisationMedecins Sans Frontieres
LocationCape Town , South Africa
Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization that delivers aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or to people that are excluded from access to health care. The organization has health projects in more than 68 countries.
This post is based in our Cape Town office with frequent travel to the field.
The position provides technical and strategic support for HIV, TB, and where relevant hep B and Hepatitis C. This within a comprehensive public health approach including related laboratory, pharmacy and patient and community engagement issues The position also involves engagement with training issues and with development of operational research.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To perform field visits of MSF OCB HIV projects, with objectives clearly defined by the field, the operations and the HIV referent, that will include the following, in function of the context:
- Evaluation of operational and technical aspects of the HIV and TB activities in specific countries/programmes supported by MSF and provide clear recommendation in line with MSF priority strategic axis and policies
- Provide general clinical support (short trainings on specific topic, review of protocols, bedside training)
- Evaluation of TB/HIV activities and support to implementation (including organisational, strategic and technical support)
- Support for the implementation of improved HIV/TB paediatric care
- Support for the implementation of improved PMTCT activities (as relevant)
- General support for organization of services, including flow of patient, data collection, rationalization of care, adherence support…
- Support for HIV/TB care implementation in non HIV/TB vertical projects
- To work together with SAMU team referents on specific dossiers (operational research, developing tools for field support, data collection support etc.). Those topics remain to be defined.
- To develop links with South African and other academic HIV/TB experts in order to benefit from their expertise in the drawing of our recommendations and strategies.
- 4 years MSF field experience in various MSF HIV projects including 2 years in a coordination position
- Fluent in English AND French
- Proven experience in field/ operational research
- Post–graduate qualifications in infectious diseases, public health and tropical medicine
- Knowledge of MSF used M & E and basic epidemiological software
Knowledge and Skills
- University degree in Medicine and registration as a Medical Doctor
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of MSF guidelines and policies
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Demonstrable commitment to humanitarian issues
- Proven clinical experience in HIV/AIDS,TB, DRTB inclusive of PMTCT, ARV, TB/HIV integration
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively (30% to 40 % of time )
- Self-motivated, creative and able to offer solutions to problems and suggest new initiatives
- Accurate and meticulous
- Tolerant and patient and happy to be accommodated in sometimes very basic field conditions
- Systematic and organized, clear in recommendations and guidance
- Sensitive to diversity and cultural issues
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team
- Willingness to work beyond official working times if required to do so.
- Contract type: 12 month with the possibility of renewal
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Ideal start date: May 2017
To apply for this post, please follow this link. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.