OrganisationSchool of Public Health & Family Medicine, UCT
LocationCape Town , South Africa
The Division of Epidemiology & Biostatistics in the School of Public Health and Family Medicine (SPH&FM) is seeking an epidemiologist for a 3-year contract position with potential for renewal. The main purpose of this position is to participate in teaching, supervision and research activities within the Division of Epidemiology & Biostatistics and the School of Public Health & Family Medicine at the University of Cape Town. The level of the appointment will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, from Lecturer to Senior Lecturer.
- Masters or Doctorate in Epidemiology or a closely-related discipline
- Relevant experience in epidemiologic and/or population health research
- Experience in teaching
- Experience in scientific writing and publications
- Familiarity with major statistical packages
- PhD in Epidemiology
- Familiarity with R and/or Stata strongly recommended
- Experience in postgraduate teaching to large, introductory audiences
- Mentoring/supervision of students
- Research interests and experience in one or more of the areas of strength of SPH&FM: sexual & reproductive health research; non-communicable diseases epidemiology; occupational epidemiology; environmental epidemiology; clinical epidemiology; infectious diseases epidemiology; social epidemiology; perinatal epidemiology; maternal and child health research
- Teaching entry-, intermediate- and/or advanced-level epidemiology within the School and Faculty to undergraduate and postgraduate audiences
- Supervision of student research projects, particularly at a masters level
- Collaborate on and conduct quantitative research in public health and/or clinical specialties
- Provide inputs into study design and methods, and assist in the conceptualization of alternative design strategies for research projects when required
- Develop over time an independent portfolio of research relevant to epidemiology and public health, either as a collaborator or research group leader
- Mentor and supervise research staff within SPH&FM with regards to epidemiologic concepts and methods
The annual cost of employment for 2017, including benefits (where applicable), is between 592 451 (Lecturer) and R728 441 (Senior Lecturer) depending on the level of the appointment.
To apply, please e-mail the below to Ms. Jacqueline Harvey at [email protected]
- UCT Application Form (download at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, including a statement of teaching and research interests, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 1577
Reference number: E17105
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
For this post we seek particularly to attract Black South African candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.